Translate

Monday, August 12, 2013

Adventures in Banking & Shopping

August 12, 2013

This morning after a really nice evening of chicken, rice and broccoli (Mom figured out how to use the convection oven!) with Jemp as our guest, both Mom and I woke feeling a tad foggy.  While the landscape was covered in fog, our fog was due to consuming a couple of bottles of red wine!

Mom was up before me, as usual and after a light breakfast she returned to bed for a snooze and I stretched out on the couch to read my book.  There was some snoozing on my part too.  The phone rang at the pre-arranged time and within 15 minutes I was out the door to meet Lony for a trip to the pharmacy.

There was a small error in my prescription in that I didn't receive enough painkillers.  Lony came in with me to translate and the pharmacist was gracious in giving me the remainder of my prescription. No extra cost and a sincere apology.  Everyone here is so very nice!

Then we scooted over to the shopping complex so I could get some more Euros and Lony and I could pick up a few more groceries.  The first bank I went to, I thought was closed.  The door wouldn't open yet there were people inside.  Hmmm...now what?  Then two good looking men in suits were on the other side of the double doors smiling at me...just standing there smiling at me.  I know I'm cute but, this was a tad awkward.  The left-hand door suddenly opened automatically and out they went greeting me with "Moien!"  I looked more closely at the door and saw a small button with two charactures of a man.  Each had an unlt light underneath; one green and one red.  There was also a sticker advising the place was under video surveillance.  I took a risk and pressed the button.

Green light and the sound of a lock!  I gave the door a push and SUCCESS I was in.  Almost in.  I found myself caught in limbo between the street and the inside of the bank.  In front of me was a second door with the same button and indicators.  I pushed that button and waited, and waited and when the door I first entered closed, the lock on the second came free and I could finally enter the bank.  Whew!

The 'teller' spoke English and advised she couldn't help me withdraw Canadian funds from my account to convert to Euros.  She suggested I go to the bank futher along in the complex and maybe they could help me.

Bank #2:  I approached the doors and now knowing what to do, pressed the necessary buttons to enter into the financial fortress.  I was met with the same answer to my money inquiry.  Now what?  This teller made the suggestion that I put my debit card into the bank machine outside and it should give me Euros.  Well, duh!  The last time I was in Europe was 23 years ago and banking was a tad different then.  I remember my sister and I taking travelers' cheques and converting them at exchanges and banks as we puttered about the Costa del Sol in Spain.  It didn't even dawn on me to get funds the way we do in North America.  It worked.  Saved!

Off to meet back up with Lony to shop for replacement items and a few more goodies to tide us over.  Having been at this store once before, I was confident I would find everything I need.  I even communicated with the nice gal in the deli that I needed 100 grams of garlic salami.  No problems.

Now the check-out.  Lony was at the self service check-out and being a tad nervous about using one (actually, I didn't want to look stupid) I headed to the lines that were being served by people.  I only had a few items and seeing the line-ups decided to suck it up, back up and try the self service.  Lony was nearby and if alarms went off, she would probably bail me out.

The check-out looked similar to our North American ones and I thought it would be pretty basic. Seeing no English I jumped in by starting to scan my items.  Um, no dice!  I scanned the Perrier and put it to the side.  The computer started beeping at me and telling me something in German.  Eeek!  A lovely, smiling face wearing the supermarket uniform appeared next to me and she started to talk to me in French.  Eeek!  I smiled and said, "I only speak English."

She continued to talk in French...more slowly...and showed me what buttons to push to get started. Thankfully, she stayed close as I scanned each item and at this point Lony was there to assist.  Time to pay!  Which button?  She asked me a question.  I smiled and took out my wallet guessing she wanted to know how I was paying.  I guessed correctly. I pulled out my newly withdrawn Euros and she made the selection.  In went the cash and out came my receipt!

As I was packing my goods, she asked me to step over to another machine to show me there is an English option, "For next time." she said.  Groan!  There's that looking-stupid moment.

Following Lony out of the cashier area, we were stopped by a turnstile.  Lony pulled out her receipt, scanned it, the machine wouldn't register it and finally the smiling staff person overrode it and let us out.

I tell ya, security is tight here!  Thankfully, the people are very nice and patient with Canadians who opted out of continuing French in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment