Translate

Monday, July 22, 2013

Just a Few More!

July 22, 2013 - When we left Canada to go to Europe in October of 1953, there were a few things that I remember quite clearly.

We lived on a radar base at Lac St. Denis north of Montreal. It was part of the Pinetree Line - a series of radar stations built during the Cold War. When we moved there from Ottawa, the Personnel Married Quarters (PMQs) had just been built.

That's the radar dome up on the hill.

That's another story. I remember my Mom cleaning the house working her way backwards so that there wasn't a speck of dirt or a fingerprint left. An airwoman did the inspection with white gloves on - I kid you not!

We moved to a hotel in Morin Heights - not too far away - for a week or so before leaving. Actually, Morin Heights is where I went to school each day on the big blue Air Force bus. Grandma and Grandpa Rannie drove to Lac St. Denis from Ottawa to see us off. That would be the last time we saw Grandpa Rannie as he died the following spring - heart attack while curling. He was a lovely man.

While the family lived at the hotel for a while, I stayed with a school friend, Muriel Black, at her family's farm. I got to drink milk straight from the cow and a saw the dairy bull in the barn which was a fearsome sight!

The Family Photo on the steps of the Morin Heights Hotel


We sailed from Montreal on October 16, 1953 on the Empress of France. Below is some more memorabilia which Mom saved from those days.

This is really something! I think the cruise ships must do something similar these days but probably electronically. The 1950s were coming up to the last days of the regular ocean liners. There are still some today but not nearly as many.

And here is our ship.

I understand that Dad stayed in the cabin for a lot of this journey and got some teasing about it - seasick! Here he is with Rob and Don taking the air.

Louise, Mom, a friend, Rob and Don in the fresh air.


You will note that I was not at the Children's Gala Tea Party. I'm sure I didn't want to be included with the little kids - or I was just too old (at 13!). Look at the Ovaltine and Horlicks on the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment