Translate

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Some Old Photos

This is my Dad bringing home our luggage the day after Mom, Rob, Louise, Don and I arrived from Chester. We took the train from Chester to Victoria Station in London and stayed at the Victoria Hotel right at the station. The next morning we took the "boat train" to Dover and went across the English Channel to Calais. We waited around for a few hours and then took the train to Luxembourg City. We arrived in the middle of the night to be met by Dad and either Mr. Lisson or Mr. Olsen who then drove us to Echternach. I think this is before Christmas in 1953.


And here is where we lived for some months before moving to rue des Bons Malades. This building was owned by the Schaaks. There was a grocery store below, a fish frying outdoor area on the right and they sold the fried fish out of the storefront on the left in the summer. My room was directly above that part. The kitchen was on the right hand second floor with the 2 windows. Moving to the left - the Schaaks' bedroom and the next 3 windows were ours - a living room and Mom's and Dad's room where Gordon eventually stayed after he was born. I understand that building isn't there any more nor is the wonderful old railway station.

And this is me in my Girl Guide uniform across the road from Schaaks. This is looking across the Sure River to Germany on the other side. This was in 1954 in the spring, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment